Gates and School Safety
The gates to the school are closed to ensure that visitors and volunteers sign in at the front office and wear an appropriate name tag. We cannot take chances with student safety. Please remind your child that NO student may leave the school grounds during the school day without being checked out of the front office.
Important Safety Reminders for Your Children
- Try to walk in the company of others.
- Stay in view of the street.
- Be alert (Wearing headphones can reduce awareness.)
- If a passing vehicle stops, do not get too close.
- If a suspicious stranger approaches you, get away and tell an adult immediately.
SupervisionArrival: Students will report to the playground and line up with their teacher by 8:55 am at their designated classroom number spot. After the first day, playground supervision will begin at 8:40 am, twenty minutes before school begins. Students in grades 1-5 should walk to the playground, and Kindergarten students should walk to the Kindergarten playground. Please do not have your child arrive before 8:40 am, as there will be no adult supervision on either playground until that time. Students will line up in their assigned area on the playground at 8:55 am. The tardy bell rings and school begins promptly at 9:00. Students are expected to be in their seats ready to learn by that time. After the 9:00 bell, students will need to come to the front office for a late slip before going to class.
At dismissal time, teachers will walk their students through the following gates where parents will meet their children:
- TK and Kindergarten teachers will communicate to parents where their children will be released.
- 1st and 2nd graders will be released from the front gates.
- 3rd, 4th and 5th graders will be released from the playground gates.
ParkingTraffic Flow: Parents driving students to and from school should follow the procedures of state law. Enter the parking lot to drop off your child by making a right hand turn off of Via Azul, and exiting left or right onto Via Inez. Please drive all the way forward in the drop off/pick up zone. Do not let your child out of the car until you are stopped at the edge of the curb. Please abide by the directions of our wonderful volunteers and staff. They are working hard to ensure safety of our children. Cars in the traffic circle should never be left unattended at any time. Do not enter the bus drop off circle. If you need to enter the school campus for any reason, please park your car in a designated space in the lot or on the street. Pedestrians should cooperate with the Student Safety Patrol, located by the crosswalk of Via Inez and Via Fiesta, demonstrating good citizenship and safety practices for our students.
PARKING LOT ETIQUETTE
- Please drive slowly.
- Follow the Golden Rule with other drivers and staff members. Remember that you are not the only one in a hurry.
- Please do NOT get out of the car to assist or escort your child.
- Pull up close to the car in front of you.
- Please refrain from using cell phones while driving in the parking lot.
- Busses have priority. Please be cognizant of their presence and try to make their entrance and exit as easy as possible.
- Please do not park in the reserved spaces.
- Park only in one of the parking spaces, not in the traffic flow area at any time of the day.
- If you park in the red zone or in the handicapped parking and leave your vehicle, you are likely to be ticketed by the San Diego Police Department.
- Bicycle Riding: Only students in grades 3, 4, and 5 may ride a bicycle to school. Children must wear a helmet, provide a lock for the bicycle, and follow safety rules/laws. A permission form, obtained from the office, must be completed and on file with the office for students who wish to ride their bikes to school. Bikes must be walked once on school grounds which include, but are not limited to, Willow Grove Road from Edgemoor to the end of the parking lot.. No rollerblades, razors, scooters, skateboards or motorized scooters are allowed on campus. Bicycles need to be walked to designated area and locked to the bike racks prior to the start of school. Bicycle riders need to ride in a safe manner. Bicycle privileges will be revoked from anyone who is not riding safely to and from school.
- Tennis shoes with wheels are not allowed on campus.